The rest of Florida got a paltry few, but South Florida scored big time with five eateries on the list of OpenTable’s 50 Best Restaurants for Vegetarians in America.
Rolled out on Tuesday’s World Vegetarian Day in alphabetical order, the SoFlo eateries that made the cut — with plant-based, vegan and sustainable sourcing — are:
- Farmer’s Table, 1901 N. Military Trail, Boca Raton. 561-417-5836. FarmersTableBoca.com.
- Harvest Seasonal Grill and Wine Bar, 1841 S. Federal Highway #402, Delray Beach. 561-266-3239. HarvestSeasonalGrill.com/delray-beach-restaurant.
- Plant Miami, 105 NE 24th St., Miami. 305-814-5365. SacredSpaceMiami.com.
- Planta South Beach, 850 Commerce St., Miami Beach. 305-397-8513. PlantaRestaurants.com.
- True Food Kitchen, locations in West Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Palm Beach Gardens, Jacksonville, Naples, Tampa and, soon, Miami. TrueFoodKitchen.com.
“There’s no doubt that plant-based dining is a trend as we’re seeing increasing interest in vegetarian menu options from our diners,” Caroline Potter, OpenTable’s chief dining officer says in a press release. “In honor of World Vegetarian Day, we thought it was a great moment to celebrate this change in dietary habits by spotlighting restaurants that serve up dining experiences guaranteed to satisfy any plant-based diet or omnivore appetite.”
According to OpenTable, a provider of online restaurant reservations, the digital reviews from diners that include the words “plant-based” increased 200 percent since 2017.
The San Francisco-based website also reports that the word “vegan” was used in less that 100 reviews prior to 2016, but now that number is closer to 15,000 mentions per month.
The list was made using diner reviews posted between Aug. 1, 2018, and July 31, 2019. According to OpenTable: All restaurants with a minimum “overall” rating and number of qualifying reviews were included for consideration. Qualifying restaurants were then scored and sorted according to the sum of tags spanning “good vegetarian options,” “vegetarian options” or “vegan.”